Friday, April 23, 2010

Deadwing, just Deadwing

So this is one of my favorite albums by one of the leading bands in psychedelic and prog music "Porcupine Tree". If you haven't had the chance to check out this band i STRONGLY suggest you go and listen to this group. This is in my favorite band hands down. But enough of me, more about you. The album is played live to this day but here is something i found a little interesting, ever since "Fear of a Blank Planet" released and even before that in fact, the title track has not gotten a lot of live play and air play and overall recognition. I actually find this song fantastic! I really love the atmosphere this song puts you in. It really puts this sepia like feel to the music and has this psychedelic solo to it, The ambient interview, the meaningful lyrics and the progressive feel. Now lets compare the title track to "Fear of a Blank Planet". If you take the first two songs out of each album you notice the keyboard typing intro, and they are actually very similar style songs. I think the reason why people like fear of a blank planet more is due to the intricate writing and the dark/real feeling to it too. I think its nice that you can turn to either song totally depending on your mood. That is one thing i love about this band, they can satisfy that heavy metal feeling or that calm acoustic feeling and then some. Just thought I go out on a limb between these songs and say that its not fair that Deadwing isn't being played as much as Fear of a Blank Planet is when they are both equally good songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment